bridges, NAT, virtual machines, brain hurt :-).

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 18:02:08 UTC 2011

On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 10:44:05 -0600
Ian Pilcher wrote:

> OK, I have a few comments and suggestions.  Worth every cent you paid
> for them.

They seem more valuable than that! Thanks.

> You'll want to make this persistent by setting net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
> in /etc/sysctl.conf.

Yea, I was going to worry about making everything permanent
after I got it to work.

> This combination will restrict the DMZ guest from initiating connections
> to machines on your local network, but you'll still be able to make
> inbound connections the other way, if you wish.

That's the most important bit. I want nothing evil downloaded in
the isolated machine to be able to escape :-).

> Personally, I find bifrost to be an extremely weird name for a network

Ah, but it is a bridge, and what bridge is more famous and bifrost? :-).

> interface.  I would recommend using something that is more obviously an
> interface; it makes reading the iptables stuff much easier.

I'm not sure anything can help reading iptables rules.