A couple of repeatable ways to freeze-up Fedora..

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Fri Dec 30 05:16:59 UTC 2011

On 12/29/2011 07:06 AM, Linda McLeod wrote:
> A couple of repeatable ways to freeze-up Fedora.. which is probably
> related and linked to other unsolved problems in Fedora..
>
> As F-14 is booting-up, plug-in 8 flash-drives (2 hubs) before the OS is
> fully booted...

I've confirmed that plugging in HW as you describe also causes problems
for Windows Vista and openSUSE.
So, I'm not too concerned.  IMO, this comes under the heading of Don't
Do That.

> With Shotwell slideshow up at full screen, tap "next pix" button about
> ten times...

This will cause F16 to become unresponsive as well.  Not sure if this is
an indication, but Fedora is at 0.10.1 of shotwell.  openSUSE is at
0.11.5 and doesn't have this problem.
> Tell me.. When glitches are found, diagnosed, and solved, does the
> solution fix other unexpected problems in other areas..?

I would say that is dependent on where/what fixed the problem.

fools. -- Douglas Adams in "Mostly Harmless