DVD ISO copy weirdness

夜神 岩男 supergiantpotato at yahoo.co.jp
Fri Dec 30 08:02:29 UTC 2011

On 12/30/2011 03:09 AM, Steven Stern wrote:
> On 12/29/2011 10:07 AM, 夜神 岩男 wrote:
>> I bought a new movie on DVD the other day for my kid (Christmas and
>> all...). I wanted to back it up because I've noticed a few of my older
>> DVDs don't play correctly anymore (blocky in spots or don't play period
>> but are studio cuts that used to work!).
>>
>> Normally I just put a DVD in the drive, select "Copy disk..." and move
>> through the dialogue to save it to an .iso. Later I can either have the
>> computer or the player play it from anywhere in the house.
>>
>> Simple.
>>
>> But today this one is acting strangely. It is giving me a css key error,
>> which is weird, because this is not BlueRay or anything, and it works
>> just fine in the ancient for-TV DVD player, so its nothing new.
>>
>> Beyond that, I can open the disk up and see the typical DVD directories:
>> {VIDEO,AUDIO}_TS
>>
>> Looking in VIDEO_TS to see what's the matter, everything can be played
>> just fine. No CSS problems. The DVD works in Media Player, VLC, etc.
>> just fine. I can run each individual chapter segment as well. But the
>> total size of VIDEO_TS claims to be 46GB, about 10 times bigger than it
>> should be... and I'm not going to copy 46GB just to get a movie. It was
>> a good movie, but not THAT good.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> What happens if you use
>
>     dd if=/dev/sr0 of=dvd.iso
>
> That should ignore the file system and just copy block for block.

It should, but it doesn't. It only copies the first 9MB which, on
checking, copied the previews and ads from Disney (which were almost
more annoying than this problem in the first place).

The way I usually do this is with brasero, just right-clicking and let
it do the rest.

I'm about to just not buy any more DVDs from Disney and switch to
rental-only or go all-out pirate (admittedly an easier option). DVDs and
Bluerays are way too expensive to let decay with no ability to copy them
for legal use.