"It's time for you to leave."

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Dec 30 13:28:14 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-12-30 at 06:44 +0100, Patrick Lists wrote:
> On 30-12-11 05:16, Craig White wrote:
> > On this list, we have a pretty wide variety of users including those
> > that are simply desktop only end users that simply want to use a
> > computer and aren't necessarily computer hobbyists nor system admins.
> > Thus the fedora-users list doesn't even slightly resemble the other
> > lists that you mentioned and it seems to be an unreasonable expectation
> > that you have.
>
> IMHO those who are totally inexperienced end-users may be better off
> with Ubuntu or Mint. Given the cutting edge nature of this project it
> seems less suited for inexperienced end-users. The other projects I
> mentioned also get their fair share of n00bs. Nothing wrong with being a
> n00b. In many areas I am sure I am a n00b too. Yet those projects seem
> quite successful in maintaining how they want their Community to
> interact. Don't see why it's unreasonable to expect an on-topic mailing
> list.
----
I'm not sure that I agree with the notion that Ubuntu or Mint is better
for inexperienced users. The only difference that I can see is that
because of the location where Ubuntu is based, they don't feel the same
encumbrance of the US licensing/patents and thus it may be a easier to
get mp3's to play.

But Ubuntu list (to which I subscribe) has the same issues with
topicality.

Also, as far as I can tell, Fedora welcomes users of all levels of
skill.
----
> Contempt? Nope, life's too short for that. If it's unnecessarily harsh
> to point out the official purpose of this list and mailing list
> guidelines then again let's agree to disagree.
----
I think it's reasonable to presume contempt when you tell someone it's
time for them to leave.

As for the guidelines - sure - but there are all sorts of off-topic
postings including those by generally knowledgeable and helpful
posters... ie the recent discussions on eye sensitivity on colors. No,
you demonstrated contempt for a single participant - and actually one
that was a fairly avid Fedora user who obviously uses aging hardware
that struggles with the recent releases that are making it harder to use
a computer with less than 2GHz processor and 1MB RAM.

and yes, I am amenable to agreeing to disagree.

Craig

believed to be clean.