Boot Disk

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Dec 30 15:02:47 UTC 2011

On 12/29/2011 11:30 AM, Alan Cox wrote:
>>> which disk the initial load occurred from?  I did run dmidecode and found
>>> nothing of value.
>
> dmidecode is the wrong interface. EDD provides the drive to BIOS mapping
> tables, DMI provides static configuration data.
>
>> Your two hard drives are otherwise (I presume) exactly alike.
>
> Just use the drive serial numbers for that - or the UUIDs of the
> partitions - much easier and basically how Fedora itself does it.
>
> Alan

Agreed. But you have to *know* the drive serial number or UUID to do
that. And there is, of course, a high probability that you will not have
that information available.

(Ha! With Captain Murphy's thumb on the scale the probability is
exactly: 1.000000. )

The advantage of marking the actual disk is that you only need remember
which way you installed...extra partition on sda/sata 1 or not.
Geoff