Firefox 9 on F16 can not set Home Page

Kevin Martin kevintm at ameritech.net
Fri Dec 30 22:33:43 UTC 2011

On 12/30/2011 04:05 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-12-30 at 17:26 +0000, g wrote:
>> On 12/30/2011 04:38 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>> <>
>>
>>> No bing search plugin is present.
>> if you follow what Patrick suggested and find that problem is in your
>> profile, you can use new profile and rebuild or...
>>
>> ok. now the 'long part'.
>>
>> with firefox closed, open a file browser, move to your firefox profile
>> directory;
>>
>>   /home/aaron/.mozilla/firefox/????????.default/
>>
>> open a terminal, enter;
>>
>>   grep bing * > 00-bing.0001
>>
>> if file size great than 0, open '00-bing.0001' to see what files have
>> 'bing' in them.
>>
>> make a backup copy of files. open the files and insert '#' or required
>> comment mark at start of line/s that read 'bing'.
>>
>> also, if you find 'bing' and it shows a directory path, rename 'bing'
>> directory.
>>

>> next open directory 'extensions', look for a directory with 'bing' in
>> name. if none, open each sub directory and view files, looking for
>> reference to 'bing'. or, open terminal and;
>>
>>   grep bing *
>>
>> no need to redirect to a file, unless you want. if any file does have
>> 'bing', move to top of path, in 'extensions' directory and append an
>> extension to that directory to block it being used.
>>

>> i know this is a lot to go thru, but you can imagine what i have gone
>> thru to find these little 'tricks' to find problems.
>>

> Let us be clear. You want me to cd to .mozilla/firefox/o8u6238s.default

>  is the name of my default file.
> Then run: grep bing * > bing.out
>
> That returns a file with 4 lines , 28 words and 110008 characters. The
> file is completely unreadable (mostly gobbely gook)
> Well you can find bing appearing in the file but not a line which you
> can easily deal with.
>
> I could grep each file in the directory but that is a lot of work for a
> minor annoyance But maybe I will do it some day.
>
> But in principle I am sure this method would trace down the problem.
if that was "grep -l bing *" then you would get a list of the files that have the word bing in them and you *might* be able to work
with that (like delete unnecessary files or edit them if there are ascii).  However, wouldn't it just be easier to stop firefox,
move the directory o8u6238s.default out of the way, and then restart firefox with a new profile?  That should take care of the bing
issue once and for all.

Kevin