Question about hard disk installation

alick alick9188 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 03:31:54 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I have a question about installing Fedora from hard disk.

I downloaded a DVD iso, extract vmlinuz and initrd.img to
partition A, then I put iso file onto partition B.

Since I have grub (grub1) from old version of Fedora, I can
use it to boot extracted vmlinuz, and start my installation.

I already know that partition B should be ext2/3/4 or FAT, and
should never be formatted during installation. Now I wonder
what requirements should partition A have. Can partition A be
formatted during installation? Is it necessary A is ext3/4?
Is it better that A is the same as B?

Note: yeah I indeed have installed Fedora 16. During my installation
partition A is a small not-used ext3 partition. The installation
works as expected. Now I just want to know whether partition A
can be say my old / partition(which will be formatted).

Note again: this is my first post here. If this question is asked
and answered before, hope someone can point me there.
--
alick
Fedora 16 (Verne) user