creating all users with one primary group?

Frantisek Hanzlik franta at hanzlici.cz
Sat Dec 31 12:29:39 UTC 2011

Has anyone experience with situation, when all users on Fedora
distro have same primary group (i.e. is not created extra group
for every user?

Namely I'm asking when all programs will be working without problems.
I want use for all users predefined group "users" (GID=100), which
seems be intended for that situation; in "/etc/default/useradd" is
this group defined.
I'm little confused from two things too:

- according to useradd man page, USERGROUPS_ENAB variable in
"/etc/login.defs" controls, when by default will be for users created
their own primary group or not. Thus set "USERGROUPS_ENAB no" should
disable this "feature". But in this file on Fedora distros
(F14-F16) is weird comment
"This enables userdel to remove user groups if no members exist"

- "/etc/login.defs" defines variable "GID_MIN  500". In F16 are min
UID/GID raised to 1000 and arrives two new variables
SYS_UID_MIN     201
SYS_UID_MAX     999

Poses this that what GID=100 are still "normal user" GID and may be
used as primary (and only) user group ID?

Thanks, Franta