creating all users with one primary group?

Frantisek Hanzlik franta at hanzlici.cz
Sat Dec 31 13:28:43 UTC 2011

Reindl Harald napsal(a):

> Am 31.12.2011 13:29, schrieb Frantisek Hanzlik:
>> Has anyone experience with situation, when all users on Fedora
>> distro have same primary group (i.e. is not created extra group
>> for every user?
>>
>> Namely I'm asking when all programs will be working without problems.
>
> programs are not interested on this detail
> applications have the needed permissions or not
>
> and yes, it works using only one users-group or mix users
> andgroups in any way you want, this is how it is desgined
> to do and having eahc user in a own group in my opinion
> is a dumb default

I understand how permission works and that *most* apps should work
fine. But, are not any (perhaps system or desktop environment),
which depends e.g. "/etc/login.defs" defined "GID_MIN" variable?
Or have some GID boundaries hard-compiled (something as suexec has)?
Or when may be some SELINUX problems here?

Franta