creating all users with one primary group?

Frantisek Hanzlik franta at hanzlici.cz
Sat Dec 31 14:08:29 UTC 2011

Reindl Harald napsal(a):
> Am 31.12.2011 14:28, schrieb Frantisek Hanzlik:
>> Reindl Harald napsal(a):

>>> programs are not interested on this detail
>>> applications have the needed permissions or not
>>>
>>> and yes, it works using only one users-group or mix users
>>> andgroups in any way you want, this is how it is desgined
>>> to do and having eahc user in a own group in my opinion
>>> is a dumb default
>>
>> I understand how permission works and that *most* apps should work
>> fine. But, are not any (perhaps system or desktop environment),
>> which depends e.g. "/etc/login.defs" defined "GID_MIN" variable?
>> Or have some GID boundaries hard-compiled (something as suexec has)?
>> Or when may be some SELINUX problems here?
>
> what have "/etc/login.defs" to do with the fact that there is
> simply no need to have a personal group for a user at all?

Nothing, of course. I'm saying rather about value of "users" group - when
problem will not be in value "100"; when it is safely usable.
I'm sure when I use this common GID >=500 (>=1000 in F16+) then there will
not be any problem.
But what when using GID=100 (although this GID was historically used for
these purposes)? I'm not knowing when Fedora implement some own
restriction about these "normal users" UID/GID values.