Listings Question About Ping

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Sat Dec 31 18:27:44 UTC 2011

On 12/31/2011 3:01 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> ln -s /dfdfdfdf ./hmpf
> ls -l -h --color=tty -X --group-directories-first --time-style=long-iso

Reindl:

Thanks. It didn't show up at first and suspected that it might be the
cygwin terminal. So, I ran startxwin to get an xwin and then I can see
it when I ssh to the backup F14 box. Once that solved, I see that, using
whatever Fedora aliases 'ls' to, that a 'ls -Fl' shows it. Sorry for not
trying that first, but I needed a "this will do it" example to make me
suspect my end.

Appears that hmpf is red on black and /dfdfdfdf is blinking white on red
(x shell is default black type on white background). Since this isn't a
Cygwin list, I won't bother with any more on that, but at least I have a
confirm that I probably will see it when I get my primary fedora box back.

And I might add, it does blink and it is ugly. The question is whether
it is uglier than the missing file (smile). I am even more inclined to
agree with Craig that it is effective at getting me to want to fix the
underlying problem so the blinking stops.

Paul