Problem with NetworkManager (self-inflicted)

Dick Roark droark.sg at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 01:11:58 UTC 2011

*
On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 11:35 PM, Harish Pillay <harish.pillay at gmail.com>wrote:

> > It all started with Puppy Linux 5.2.  I setup a LiveCD and jumped in to
> get
> > familiar with it.  I had some trouble with connectivity.  I eventually
> got
> > around to trying my linksys Wireless-G dongle.  This showed some promise
> > although I was unable to find the correct Puppy driver for the dongle and
> > eventually removed the Wireless-G and shelved that project.   Later on, I
> > tried to log on with Fedora and found that NetworkManager was now
> unusable.
> > Okay, after fiddling around with it for a while, I did a complete
> reinstall
> > of Fedora (including reformatting the disk) and low-and-behold
> > NetworkManager still doesn't work. I would have thought the Fedora
> reinstall
> > would have installed the correct driver but apparently it didn't.  I am
> able
> > to send this because I have plugged the Wireless-G back in. (aargh!)
> Has
> > anyone ever seen this sort of thing?
>
> Actually, the easier way is to do the following:
>
> yum reinstall NetworkManager*
>
> and it will replace the existing NetworkManager.
>
> I actually don't understand the issue you are facing.  Your machine has
> some OS installed in the harddisk or are you working entirely off of a
> liveCD?
>
> Harish
> --

Actually, I think it's a hardware problem with the Dlink PCI wireless card.
Reinstalling NetworkManager was the first thing I tried. I've done two cold
reinstalls with the same results.  The Puppy Linux is a live CD. By now,
there are no remaining traces on the Puppy Linux. I'm going to remove the
Dlink card and have a look at it.  Once in a blue moon, even reseating a
card makes a difference.  I don't believe it's a Fedora problem because on
both the reinstalls the Wireless-G USB dongle works just fine.  To me, it's
just gotta be a hardware problem.  I expect to fix it today.  Will keep you
updated.