Fedora 14: Shutdown problem

JB jb.1234abcd at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 12:59:18 UTC 2011

Terry Barnaby <terry1 <at> beam.ltd.uk> writes:

> I'm not sure why /home uses NFS 3 while the others use NFS4.
> They are from the same server and there is no specific config
> for 3 or 4, so on Fedora 14 I would have expected them to be 4.
> The server is Fedora 14 as well.

The analysis above is subject to verification of any custom config on your
server and client in:
/etc/sysconfig/nfs

Now the analysis.

network fs services script:
/etc/init.d/netfs start
        < based on /etc/fstab >
        service rpcbind start
        action $"Mounting NFS filesystems: " mount -a -t nfs,nfs4
        action $"Mounting CIFS filesystems: " mount -a -t cifs
        action $"Mounting NCP filesystems: " mount -a -t ncpfs
        touch /var/lock/subsys/netfs
        action $"Mounting other filesystems: " mount -a -t nonfs,nfs4,cifs,ncpfs,gfs

Comments:

man mount.nfs or mount.nfs4 says:
       mount.nfs4 is used for mounting NFSv4 file system, while  mount.nfs  is
       used  to  mount  NFS  file  systems versions 3 or 2.

First it calls 'mount -a -t nfs,nfs4',
then it calls 'mount -a -t nonfs,nfs4,...'

Why the second call (except for gfs) ?
Should there be also nonfs4, nocifs, noncpfs ?
This probably caused some confusion as it might have attempted to overwrite
previous (first call) nfs assignment with nfs4.

We hava a case that client's /etc/fstab specified "nfs" fs type for 3 shares
obtainable from the same server (even the same Fedora 14 on both server and
client), but obtained nfs3 for one share (/home) and nfs4 for 2 others. Why ?

You already have the nfs network set up for this.
You should be able to debug it inside this script by placing debugging
statements recording /etc/mtab AND /proc/mounts after each 'mount'.

If you confirm it, I will be able to request a fix in Bugzilla.

It would also indicate some bug in 'mount' itself as I am not sure that 'mount'
should be allowed to overwrite one fs type with another, here nfs with nfs4.
You can test it manually as well.

JB