How to get better looking fonts

Jorge Fábregas jorge.fabregas at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 20:15:38 UTC 2011

On 02/06/2011 03:57 PM, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
> Now I'm wondering if there is a way to get the font rendering to look
> different.

I'm on Fedora 14 and mine looks like this (which is more similar to your
Ubuntu screenshot than the Fedora one):

http://imagebin.org/136443

The only thing I did after a fresh installation was to install the
freetype-freeworld package (which is the regular freetype package but
compiled with the bytecode interpreter enabled).  You need the RPMFusion
(non-free) repo for that.  After that, I just changed the settings to this:

Smoothing --> (Subpixel (LCDs)
Hinting ----> Slight
Subpixel Order ---> RGB

I know talking about how great or bad fonts look is highly subjective...
but I totally agree there's a big difference between the 2 screenshots
your presented.  The font rendering in Fedora, out of the box, is not at
the same level of neatness as that of Ubuntu.

HTH,
Jorge