How to get better looking fonts

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Mon Feb 7 08:38:59 UTC 2011

On 02/06/2011 08:57 PM, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I pulled myself together and worked around the LVM problem and the rest
> of the installation actually worked fine.
>
> Now I'm wondering if there is a way to get the font rendering to look
> different. I followed all the instructions on
> http://fedorasolved.org/Members/khaytsus/improve-fonts/, but the fonts
> look pretty much unchanged:
>
> http://www.rath.org/res/fedora.png
>
> I would like them to look more like this:
>
> http://www.rath.org/res/ubuntu.png
>
> Any recommendations?

Your hinting is too strong. Try "light".

There are people liking this "lego blocks" appearance (which is similar to
Windows), but many others (including you, and me) like the smooth one
(more similar to OS X).

I think that once your eyes have been trained on one style, you irremediably
find the other one ugly.

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it