No need for AV tools on Linux, eh?

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 12 01:41:21 UTC 2011

Mattias said:
> I reealy not understand anything now

I use Linux/UNIX in a high security environment.  We HAVE to install
AV.  Why?  To prevent the spread of Windows viruses and to prevent a
worm attack (this is the main concern for UNIX system administrators.)
I also use Macs. Ditto.  There is one KNOWN FreeBSD/MacOSX exploit in
the wild.  However, I don't want to be crushed when a Windows level
attack happens.

And yes, all Operating Systems have vulnerabilities.  This is a fact of
life.  The application you run on your Linux box may not be as secure as
you think it is and thus is subject to a buffer overflow or a Cross-Site
Scripting attack (which is what the OP posted).  So you think you are
'safe and secure' while the bad guys are bouncing spam off your system
and doing other 'bad' stuff.

AV and a HIDS/HIPS are the stuff of today.  Even on your home system
behind a firewall....

James McKenzie
SSCP #367830