Where can I find a functional nslookup?

Andy Blanchard zocalo at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 18:55:19 UTC 2011

On 13 February 2011 18:03, Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> wrote:

> This is Linux (from IBM) going into AIX, in an IBM shop. The chances of IBM
> dropping AIX are remote (new major release out last year), and there are
> apps in
> AIX which are not in Linux. So I think the chances are that I will die
> before
> AIX usage does.

If this is IBM supported Linux and you are a sizeable AIX shop you might try
asking them for a port of the AIX version of NS Lookup or, in the unlikely
event they will let you have it, the code to roll your own.  Failing that,
good luck with finding a suitable version of NSlookup code to achieve the
same ends - sounds like that is your only way forwards...

> The problem I'm troubleshooting is that there is no budget for training
> people,
> no budget for rewriting scripts, and a loud majority which feels that Linux
> is a
> toy OS because it's not "real UNIX" based. That's management as well as
> workers.

That sounds oh so familiar recently.  You want to try convincing big
business & government organisations that, yes, they really ought to be
thinking about IPv6 *now*, and not when they need to connect to someone who
could only get IPv6 addresses...  Too many ostriches in ICT at the
moment....

> I ran "yum clean obstructionists" but it didn't work.

Oh, if only... :)

Regards,

--
Andy

The only person to have all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe