What's the chipset in this D-Link USB device

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 00:43:14 UTC 2011

On 02/14/2011 05:02 AM, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>> lspci command showed nothing.
> Because its not a PC device.
>
>> lsusb shows
>>
>> Bus 001 Device 005: ID 07d1:3304 D-Link System
> man lsusb, you will see -d looks for vendor:[prod id] which would
> lead you to know that 07d1 is D-Link's ID and 3304 is the product.
> Unfortunately http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids ends at 3303 for D-Link.
>
> A quick Google shows http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/red-hat-fedora-linux/163594-usb-wireless-drivers-problems.html
> which appears to have worked at the bottom of the thread...
Thank you very much for the link.
It works after the suggested mod.

Problem I found is that this driver does not seem to mesh
with the linux wpa_supplicant client, so it ends up
associating with the AP with OPEN (i.e un-encrypted) mode.
Which is very strange because my AP is configured with
WPA2-PSK and AES encryption. So, I have no idea how this
wireless dongle can associate with the AP.
However, if I leave it be for about 30 minutes or more, it finally
changes the association from OPEN to WPA2_PSK with encryption.

I also learned that the driver from realtek (which is what I downloaded,
and modded according to the link you provided), produces the module
r8712u.ko , which contains support for several chipsets, including the
RTL8192[SU]_USB.

Thanks again for the link. I will keep it around in case I
run into people who are trying to make it work.

Cheers,

JD