trying to add a wireless driver -live spin

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 23:44:45 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 2:50 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 4:07 PM, Joshua Andrews <woodguy552010 at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> > Thank you.
> >
> > I got it going with 'uname -r' found the kernel and down loaded rpms from
> > rpmfusion.
> >
> > Now if I can figure out the persistent overlay and write a script to
> install
> > everything  when I boot the drive.
> >
> > I'm not sure if I have to mount the overlay or what.
> >
> > running from live spin now -- had to install firefox to check yahoo.
> it'll
> > be gone next time I boot also.
>
> If you successfully setup an overlay file then it should be used
> automatically at least in my experience.
>
> Richard
> --

Once you login to your USB spin, su to root  (should need no password)

Below is an example from Knoppix live CD:

dd if=/dev/zero  of=/mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img bs=1024k count=1024
          Change the value of count to reflect however much persistent
storage you would like
          if you USB stick has space available for it.
mke2fs -m 0 -F /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img

The ram based root file system on you USB might have a different mount point
such as
/mnt/sysimage

I am not sure of what the directory path should be for a Fedora live's
persistent storage,
so I offer only an example below:

mkdir /mnt/sysimage/persist

dd if=/dev/zero  of=/mnt/sysimage/persist/data.img bs=1024k count=1024

 mke2fs -m 0 -F /mnt/sysimage/persist/data.img

Next time you reboot, every time you modify something in /etc or /home in
the memory based file system, it will be automatically reflected in the
persistent storage.

Good luck,

JD