Running ssh on unreserved ports

Alex mysqlstudent at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 16:05:01 UTC 2011

Hi,

>> Fail2ban is easy to set up, and I've seen it stop attempts here.

Everything helps, but this is one that I wouldn't really rely on, in
case the log file format for ssh changed in some way, or the script
died and it wasn't noticed.

> I am paranoid about ssh and welcome suggestions that increase my ssh
> security configuration, in particular, and overall security, in general.

All great ideas. You haven't mentioned hosts.allow/deny. Perhaps you
referencing that in your comment about googleing for China IP
addresses?

I also recently found this:

# Google Authenticator
http://www.google.com/support/accounts/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1066447

This is apparently some application that somehow integrates with your
phone to authenticate you with ssh? Anyone have any success with this?

Thanks,
Alex