internet apps don't connect in FC14

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 18:12:30 UTC 2011

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 10:07 AM, Jim Philips <briarpatch.jim at gmail.com> wrote:

> I didn't do anything with Network Manager at the beginning, nor was I
> prompted to. Shouldn't there have been a wizard to lead me through settings?
> By the way, things all work with my wired connection now. Haven't gotten
> wireless working yet. Need another test.

>From the F14 User Guide:

7.1. The Network Manager Applet

Network Manager has been the default network configuration application
for the GNOME desktop since Fedora 11. This application can be used to
configure a wide variety of network devices and connections that allow
you to access the Internet. Network Manager is used to configure all
your network connections from wired to wireless network as well as
xDSL, VPN, and mobile broadband with extend support for Bluetooth DUN.
And if you don't know about DNS, DHCP or pppoe, Network Manager does
it all for you. If you use your computer at home, and have an xDSL
connection that is already working, you do not need to configure
anything. Just connect to the wired network. With a wireless or
broadband connection, the steps needed to setup them are simple and
easy to do, just a few clicks and fill in your personal information.

Network Manager executes automatically when you start your session and
it is visible in GNOME as the nm-applet icon on the top right of the
desktop. If you move the mouse over it, it shows the active
connection.

Left-clicking on the icon provides a context sensitive menu divided in
three sections. The first section shows the active connection or
connections along with an option to Disconnect The second section
views the other available connections. Switch to one of them with a
simple click and the previous one closes automatically. The VPN
Connections submenu provides option to configure or disconnect to a
VPN.

Right clicking on the nm-applet show another context sensitive menu
that allows you to Enable Networking and if available Enable Wireless
or Enable Mobile Broadband. You can also Enable Notifications as well
as view the Connection Information or Edit Connections... When editing
connections, Network Manager opens in a new window, in which you
configure the network devices and connections. The About option
provides information about the project and the people that created the
application, with a link to the Project Web-Site .

Just like its GNOME counterpart, KDE provides an applet interface for
NetworkManager, known as KNetworkManager. This application development
was started by Novell and provides an integrated QT-based experience
with similar usage and configuration as its GNOME counterpart,
nm-applet.

>From the F14 Deployment Guide:

Chapter 5. Network Configuration

NetworkManager is a dynamic network control and configuration system
that attempts to keep network devices and connections up and active
when they are available. NetworkManager consists of a core daemon, a
GNOME Notification Area applet that provides network status
information, and graphical configuration tools that can create, edit
and remove connections and interfaces. NetworkManager can be used to
configure the following types of connections: Ethernet, wireless,
mobile broadband (such as cellular 3G), and DSL and PPPoE
(Point-to-Point over Ethernet). In addition, NetworkManager allows for
the configuration of network aliases, static routes, DNS information
and VPN connections, as well as many connection-specific parameters.
Finally, NetworkManager provides a rich API via D-Bus which allows
applications to query and control network configuration and state.

Previous versions of Fedora shipped with the Network Administration
Tool, which was commonly known as system-config-network after its
command line invocation. In Fedora 14, NetworkManager replaces the
former Network Administration Tool while providing enhanced
functionality, such as user-specific and mobile broadband
configuration. It is also possible to configure the network in Fedora
14 by editing interface configuration files; refer to Chapter 4,
Network Interfaces for more information.

NetworkManager may be installed by default on Fedora. To ensure that
it is, first run the following command as the root user:

~]# yum install NetworkManager

5.1. The NetworkManager Daemon

The NetworkManager daemon runs with root privileges and is usually
configured to start up at boot time. You can determine whether the
NetworkManager daemon is running by entering this command as root:

~]# service NetworkManager status
NetworkManager (pid  1527) is running...

The service command will report NetworkManager is stopped if the
NetworkManager service is not running. To start it for the current
session:

~]# service NetworkManager start

Run the chkconfig command to ensure that NetworkManager starts up
every time the system boots:

~]# chkconfig NetworkManager on

For more information on starting, stopping and managing services and
runlevels, refer to Chapter 7, Controlling Access to Services.