[Fedora 12] "IOError: [Erno 28] No space left on device"

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 22:01:43 UTC 2011

I have one old machine running Fedora 12, kernel 2.6.27.
Suddenly one day after doing system updates (and it was downloading
some torrents in the background) the system would no longer boot
properly, and the system says the disk is full (probably is).

The issue is that I get the normal Fedora boot screen , then the
hourglass, then the log-in screen,then I get

Oops, sealert hit an error!

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/bin/sealert*, line 949, in <module>
  print >> sys.stderr, "could not attach to desktop process"
IOError: [Erno 28] No space left on device

This dialog shows an "ok" button. I click there and ... nothing...
black screen and spinning hourglass...

I´ve tried Ctrl-Alt-F1 but nothing happens, Ctrl-Alt-F2 shows

IRQ handler tye mismatch for IRQ 0
current handler: timer
IRQ handler tye mismatch for IRQ 0
current handler: timer
IRQ handler tye mismatch for IRQ 0
current handler: timer
IRQ handler tye mismatch for IRQ 0
current handler: timer
hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 1

Any ideas?? I´m lost on this one...

TIA
FC
PS: I don´t have a functioning CD/DVD reader on this system. I used at
the time of installation but not anymore...