Mozilla spellcheck options

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 13:49:10 UTC 2011

Everyone:

Where is the English-US option for default spelling dictionaries in
Firefox and Thunderbird? (And for that matter, why don't those
dictionaries come with the proper names of Firefox and Thunderbird
pre-loaded?)

I have been using the spell-check system for many times. And I detect a
distinct United Kingdom bias:

Words ending in "-our" instead of "-or" (colour/color, favour/favor,
savour/savor, etc.)

The -er and -re dispute (centre/center)

The -ce and -se dispute (licence/license, defence/defense)

Meaning no disrespect to staunch defenders of the Queen's English, I
suggest that an English-US set of dictionaries should be available. At
least some members of this community learned (learnt?) our spelling from
Noah Webster, not Samuel Johnson.

Temlakos