Fedora 14 - can't change pointer theme

dexter dex.mbox at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 21:46:05 UTC 2011

On 28 February 2011 14:46, mike cloaked <mike.cloaked at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 9:24 AM, Neil Bird <neil at fnxweb.com> wrote:
>>
>>   I updated from Fedora 12 to Fedora 14 over the weekend, and now I can't
>> change my pointer theme.  I'm stuck using dmz-aa.
>>
>>   The pointer preferences still show my custom pointer choice, it's just
>> not being used.  Well, mostly.  Within Firefox and Thunderbird windows, my
>> custom pointer is showing up.  But window borders, the desktop and most apps
>> only show the dmz-aa pointer.
>>

>>   I can't find a ref. to dmx under ~/.gconf (but I can find my custom
>> pointer selection: /desktop/gnome/peripherals/mouse/cursor_theme I think).
>>

>>   Any ideas where to look?  I've seen mention of this elsewhere, but only
>
> What I do is yum install bluecurve-cursor-theme gnome-themes-extras
> oxygen-cursor-themes oxygen-icon-theme
>
> Then you will find you can change the cursor from dmz-aa to clearlooks
> or one of the others you may prefer.
> --
> mike c

What I did was a bit more radical/technical. I went over to
kde-look.org & picked a cursor theme which didn't make my eyes bleed,
Polar-cursor-themes is what I finally settled on. Now dmz* is pulled
in by libXcursor so I rebuilt it and put the dependency on my new
cursors job done. Next time I respin my desktop dmz* is never involved
:-) I can fpaste specfiles for those who want to follow at home.

...dex