xmms only playing mp3 as root

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 16:50:28 UTC 2011

On Sat, 1 Jan 2011 16:15:36 +0000, Marko wrote:

> > xmms-pulse is a separate package built from sources external to XMMS.
> > It would need circular dependencies to have "xmms" require "xmms-pulse"
> > and vice versa. Or it would be necessary to merge the two packages out
> > of convenience.
>
> Yes, it seems that the circular dependency is the problem here, since xmms-
> pulse is an external project to xmms. Makes sense.

Note though that it's a circular dep at install-time only, not at
build-time. Not a big issue. Lots of other packages create dependencies
like that.

> But I still use XMMS on an everyday basis, and guess I am not the only one.
> :-)
>
> My main reasons for not switching to any other player is that (a) XMMS is
> simple enough for elementary use (I don't want the player to maintain
> databases of my audio collection and such stuff), (b) the default black skin of
> XMMS integrates beautifully into the rest of my desktop, and (c) I am used to
> the elementary user-interface for playlists since my Windows and Winamp days.

> If you happen to know any other player which satisfies (a,b,c) in a reasonable
> way, especially if there is an exact same black XMMS skin available for it,
> I'd appreciate to know about it. ;-)

http://mschwendt.fedorapeople.org/XMMS-vs-Audacious_Screenshot.png

a, b, and c apply to Audacious. It also doesn't maintain any databases like
you describe.