system-config-firewall from remote machine

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Sat Jan 1 22:08:33 UTC 2011

I tried to run system-config-firewall logged in remotely as a normal
user (not root).  I am not prompted for root's password.  The interface
pops up and the startup splash screen displays, but when the splash
screen clears, it's replaced with an error popup with the message

        org.fedoraproject.slip.dbus.service.PolKit.NotAuthorizedException.org.fedoraproject.config.firewall.auth:

and buttons labeled "Redo" and "Quit".  "Redo" results in the same
popup.  Running on the local machine behaves as expected: root password
prompt, GUI opens, interaction is normal.  Logging in remotely as root
works as expected too, but that's not a good security practice.

Is this a bug?  (I assume so...)  If so, what package?  (This is
system-config-firewall-1.2.27-1.fc14.noarch, FWIW.)

TIA.
--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences