ssh by user amandabackup

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Sun Jan 2 01:14:54 UTC 2011

I'm trying to set up amanda using the amaddclient command.  That
requires that user amandabackup be able to log into the client machine
using ssh keys.

I've generated the keys on the server machine, copied the public key to
the client machine in /var/lib/amanda/.ssh/authorized_keys
(/var/lib/amanda is amandabackup's home directory).  I believe all file
protections are set correctly--they mirror the ones for a regular user.
But ssh fails to use the keys and prompts for a password.

ssh with keys by a normal user works fine.  No error messages to be
found in /var/log/secure on the client or with ssh -v on the server.
Any suggestions as to what the difference is and how to fix this would
be welcome.

TIA.
--
                Matthew Saltzman