Remote X display access

Harish Pillay harish.pillay at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 16:48:06 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-01-02 at 10:32 -0500, Alex wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is the best way to securely permit a remote X application to
> display on as local system?
>
> I'm trying to get system-config-services to run on a remote FC14
> x86_64 system to my local FC13 x86_64 system. It's on a local internal
> network. I've tried setting the display and allowing access using
> xhost, but it still appears to have an access control problem.
>
> Also, how can I do this across the Internet? Wrap it in ssh?

Here's what I do:
local machine: ssh -YC username at remotemachine.com

You might need to have the remotemachine's /etc/ssh/sshd_config
to have the entry in it:
           X11Forwarding yes
uncommented.

The -Y option given to ssh is for the following:

-Y Enables trusted X11 forwarding.  Trusted X11 forwardings are not
     subjected to the X11 SECURITY extension controls.

and the -C is for compression.

Once you have logged in, you can then spawn GUI applications on
remotemachine and have the display show up on local machine.

There could be latency issues, and for that you might want to
investigate the SPICE protocol (available in F14) or freenx.

hth.
--
Harish Pillay h.pillay at ieee.org gpg id: 746809E3