ipv6 question

Dave Ihnat dihnat at dminet.com
Sun Jan 2 23:33:42 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jan 02, 2011 at 06:19:48PM -0500, Genes MailLists wrote:
>  This issue must have a simple solution surely noone would design a
> spanking new world and then make it hard for a not uncommon situation
> (new isp) ?

Well, think again.  There are reasons people are dragging their feet
going to IPv6.

Frankly, I don't expect most, if any, internal LANs to cut over to IPv6.
There's no reason or point, and a lot of headaches.  Instead, it should
become the standard *outside* your router/firewall, and you can stay
with IPv4 inside.

Probably the simplest approach is to use a router appliance that groks
IPv6 for the WAN, and IPv4 for the LAN.  On a Linux system, if you want
it to be your firewall--and a lot of us are hard-headed enough to do
so--I'd put in two NICs and use only the outward-facing NIC for IPv6,
confguring the internal for IPv4.

G'luck,
--
	Dave Ihnat