Partitioning questions

Alex mysqlstudent at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 21:02:30 UTC 2011

Hi,

>> I'd like to create a RAID5 array with no spares, using all four disks.
>> There isn't room in the chassis for more disks, and they will never be
>> replaced with larger ones. Should I even worry about LVM?
> If you're looking for a way to have a 3TB RAID5 PV array at power on, I
> think the only way to do it is with a hardware RAID controller, such as

Maybe I explained myself incorrectly. I'm interested in a hardware
RAID controller, but would like to use software RAID5, and wondered if
it was necessary (or beneficial) to use LVM in conjunction with it?

I'm just not sure how it works -- do I use one or the other? Or LVM on
top of RAID5? Or otherwise?

The installer is confusing -- it seems that in order to use RAID5, I
must delete the LVM configuration that it creates by default, correct?

Thanks,
Alex