Advanced Format Hard Drives and Linux?

KC8LDO kc8ldo at arrl.net
Tue Jan 4 01:13:46 UTC 2011

I'm going to be screwing a new system together in the next few days. I got a
Hitachi Deskstar HDS721010CLA332 1TB drive for main storage. My question is
will Fedora, any particular version, install OK on one of these drives
without doing anything special, the so-called 4K alignment, I've read about?
A brief downloaded from the manufacture says yes but you have to use some
particular command line switches with gparted. Is this already setup in the
Anaconda installer during the disk partitioning step?

Also I hope this isn't a drive that has the same problem the Western Digital
"Green" dives have with wear out due to frequent head loading and unloading
issues.

http://www.rrfx.net/2010/03/western-digital-green-hard-disk-drives.html

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=609&sid=113&lang=en

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/tips/Disable_WDGreen_HeadParking.htm