Easy PPTP Setup?

Oliver Ruebenacker curoli at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 09:28:02 UTC 2011

     Hello,

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 9:01 AM, Chris Smart <mail at christophersmart.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 6:58 PM, Oliver Ruebenacker <curoli at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>  What tools can you recommend? Thanks!
>
> Perhaps try:
> su -c 'yum install NetworkManager-pptp'

  It is already installed.

> Then add it using NetworkManager?

  How do I do that?

  On the other machine that I don't have access right now (which
happens to be a laptop), there is a NetworkManager icon in the upper
right corner, on the menu bar. Plus, there is a menu item to start or
setup PPTP (I think it was under Applications - Internet). None of
these are on this machine.

  When I open a root shell and type "nm-applet", I get:

** (nm-applet:8905): WARNING **: <WARN>  bus_init(): Could not get the
session bus.  Make sure the message bus daemon is running!  Message:
Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote
application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy
blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network
connection was broken.

**
GLib-GIO:ERROR:gdbusconnection.c:2270:initable_init: assertion failed:
(connection->initialization_error == NULL)

  I actually had a similar message all the time with SUSE-Linux, which
was the reason I installed Fedora. I thought the D-Bus was a KDE thing
I would not see with Gnome.

     Take care
     Oliver

--
Oliver Ruebenacker, Computational Cell Biologist
Systems Biology Linker at Virtual Cell (http://vcell.org/sybil)