Conky troubles

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 15:28:48 UTC 2011

Hi Kevin,

On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 12:19:21 -0800
suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 11:39 AM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 00:58:47 -0800
> > Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> background yes
> >> own_window yes
> >> own_window_class Conky
> >> own_window_type override
> >> own_window_transparent yes
> >
> > Are there any errors or other output when you run it from a
> > terminal?
> >

> I have tried running conky in debug mode from the terminal, there are
> no errors.

I couldn't find a clue to what might be wrong. When run from the
terminal I get no errors at all.

$ conky -D
DEBUG(0) [conky.c:5334]: reading contents from config file '/home/<user>/.conkyrc'
Conky: forked to background, pid is 2507
$
Conky: desktop window (2600003) is subwindow of root window (107)
Conky: window type - override
Conky: drawing to created window (0x7a00001)
Conky: drawing to double buffer
^C
$ killall conky
Conky: received SIGINT or SIGTERM to terminate. bye!

Using strace I get a huge output, I don't know how I could filter it
down to the relevant messages.

> > There was a conky update in October... perhaps file a bug on it and
> > see if the older version still works?

Downgrading also has the same problem, so its definitely a local issue.

I tried using conky with WindowMaker on this same machine, and it works
perfectly. This led me to conclude it could be some window manager
(xfwm4) setting. So I tried with compositing turned off but no luck
there either. Do you have any ideas to what could be the culprit here?

--
Suvayu