Computer transplant -

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Wed Jan 5 20:00:09 UTC 2011

On 01/05/2011 10:01 AM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>     This computer has developed problems and I have elected to replace
>     it with another used computer which FedEx should deliver in a few
>     days. I know I can transfer file from one to the other but is there
>     any hope I could simply install these hard drives and boot from
>     them. That would save me the effort of a lot of configuration.
>
>     I suspect not but wanted to ask before doing anything else.
>
>     I hesitate to shut this computer off, It comes on sounding like a
>     jet engine in my quiet room, fans running full bore and does not
>     POST. I changed the power supply, it ran ok for a week or more, I
>     figured I had it fixed until the problem returned with a vengeance.
>     I can get it to run by pulling off a fan plug and reinserting it
>     although that fan does not appear to be the problem. Too much,
>     simpler to buy another used box.

Twice now, I have changed motherboards (and CPUs) in a system by
installing most of the old system's peripherals on a new motherboard
(same CPU architecture, or at least a compatible one [x86->x86_64]).

Both times the old system booted.  Most of the differences were detected
at boot time and the appropriate modules were either available, or
easily configured after the system booted.  (Yes, both systems had PATA
IDE disks.)  I think I was lucky that the disk system was essentially
the same before and after (device names didn't change), and today, once
you get the boot device right, the rest of the filesystem is usually
mounted based on either UUIDs or partition labels.

Once I had to figure out which Ethernet driver to use for the new
motherboard, but that was fairly easy (it can be pain if your systems
needs to be re-configured, but you have no net access to downloads
changes with).  There are always some things that need re-configuration
(sensors, etc), but, my systems booted and were useable enough to
reconfigure on the fly.

If your system changes are drastic enough (CPU architecture changes,
video changes, things like that), you may have more problems, but I've
been surprised at how much is decided "on-the-fly" by the kernel when it
boots.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com