ipv6 question

夜神 岩男 supergiantpotato at yahoo.co.jp
Thu Jan 6 15:45:03 UTC 2011

--- Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> On Sun, 2011-01-02 at 17:40 -0500, Genes MailLists
> wrote:
> >    How does one manage your internal ip6 network
> so that an ISP change
> > (which under NAT/ipv4 is irrelevant) - is
> straightforward/clean to
> > manage ?
>
> The simple answer is *DNS*.

<corrected=[...]>

> Only the [Kerberos/smartcard/etc-requiring enterprise
> which requires 99.999 uptime] really care whether the
> IP for example.com is the same this year as last
> year.
> Likewise for other domain names.

</corrected>

This can pose more of a problem than the average LAN admin
may appreciate...

I may be replying prematurely, but I wouldn't be surprised
if the end solution to ISP/IP changeover winds up having
more to do with the first 64-bits of the address than the
last 64-bits, as the naming scheme splits the two up
between a MAC-derived definition and the ISP-defined
scheme. (At least in the most recent RFCs I've bothered to
read...)