Computer transplant -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sat Jan 8 18:22:24 UTC 2011

On 05/01/11 10:57, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 10:01:35 -0500
> Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>> I know I can transfer file from one to the other but is there
>>      any hope I could simply install these hard drives and boot from
>>      them.
> This actually works surprisingly often. The most likely problem
> would come if there is some hardware that needs a driver that
> isn't included in the existing initramfs image under /boot.

    Well it appears to be working with the drives from the original box
    plugged in and hanging loose. The computer booted normally except
    for a long delay with time outs when it couldn't find my NFS and the
    files it calls on start up.

    That was because it was seeing ETH0 as ETH1? Once I realized that
    and fixed the configuration things began to work as expected.

    Next to reassemble things and put it back in the normal location
    with it's usual peripherals, display, keyboard, trackball, etc.

    Thanks to all.

    Bob