ipv6 question

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Sat Jan 8 21:38:42 UTC 2011

On Sunday, January 02, 2011 05:40:00 pm Genes MailLists wrote:
>    How does one manage your internal ip6 network so that an ISP change
> (which under NAT/ipv4 is irrelevant) - is straightforward/clean to manage ?

Somehow I missed this message that started the whole thread... Shame on me.

There as several ways, some of which have been mentioned.

The one I'll mention is using the combination of provider-assigned (PA) IPv6 addresses on the outside with unique-local addresses (ULA; see RFC 4193) on the inside and one to one NAT66 in between ( see http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mrw-behave-nat66-02 for the draft for NAT66 at the IETF).

A Linux ip6tables extension project to do this can be found at http://map66.sourceforge.net/

Unlike many, I see NAT as not primarily a security tool but as an end-user flexibility tool that keeps the end-user from ever having to renumber anything, as well as do sane internal addressing and subnetting.  With IPv4 one inside global address to many inside local addresses (those are Cisco NAT's terms, as there are also outside global and outside local addresses that can be NATted) is the normal use-case; this isn't needed for IPv6, but an end user is not going to want to renumber the inside network when switching providers.  Renumbering, even servers with DNS, is a pain, especially thanks to some DNS caches not honoring TTL.

The alternative of running your own autonomous system (AS), running border gateway protocol (BGP), and getting your own provider-independent (PI) address space is not at all palatable to the ISP community (route table bloat due to prefix deaggregation); the only really valid case for PI space is multihoming, from an ISP and RIR/LIR perspective, in which case you'll already be an AS and running BGP to get the benefits of multihoming.