Gnome3 available in F14 to evaluate it.

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 04:54:18 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 5:27 AM, mike cloaked <mike.cloaked at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 9:21 PM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
> > If you know that it is possible to evaluate the GNOME3 under F14 stop
> > reading here.
> >
> > You can get a look at Gnome3 by doing:
> > yum install gnome-shell
> >
> > Then go to System->Preferences->Desktop Effects and choose GNOME Shell
> >
> > This is described in the February 2010 issue of Linux Journal in an
> > article, "Coming Soon to Linux Desktops", by Charles Olsen. Except he
> > gives you bad advice on how to start the Gnome3 Shell.

It is not really the GNOME 3 Shell.  It is a very early version and hasn't
been updated in several months.  The UI has changed in major ways.  If you
really want to test that, I recommend using Rawhide

> Can you suggest minimum hardware needed to run gnome-shell?  Also in
> f14 what is 3d support like for nvidia cards and ati cards that will
> govern whether or not gnome shell will work with them?
>
> Is it possible to run gnome-shell with Intel graphics in some, a few,
> or many, cases - and is there a list of the ones that are likely to
> work?

GNOME Shell will require 3D support in the drivers, yes.

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2010-December/msg00135.html

There will also be a fallback mode for systems that don't support GNOME
Shell

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2011-January/msg00008.html

Rahul