confused for booting security

Parshwa Murdia b330bkn at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 08:02:19 UTC 2011

hi,

As someone earlier let me know about the encrypting of passwords, I did the
following:

after becoming the root, used the command:

md5crypt

to get the encrypted string of passwords for using in /boot/grub/grub.conf
This is the password which is NOT the password of the user who logs-in. But
while rebooting, while entering this password (when prompted in the black
screen), if I press Ecs, I come to the choices of OS and at that time, if
press 'e', it says me to edit through the grub, but then I press 'd' to
remove the following two lines (which are just below the name of the OS in
the /boot/grub/grub.conf file):-

password --md5 $1$X58Kw/$v71Qlprzt8f4U9uOu46nk0
lock

and after that I press 'b' to boot without entering the encrypted password
during the booting time.

If this is the case, anyone can press 'e' and then remove those two line and
then 'b' to boot without ever entering the encrypted passwords, then what
would be the purpose of encrypting that? It would be okay for trespassers
too!
--

Regards,
Parshwa Murdia