Ultimate inkjet printer for Fedora?

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 16:20:58 UTC 2011

On 01/12/2011 11:06 AM, valent.turkovic at gmail.com wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 3:52 PM, Tim Waugh<twaugh at redhat.com>  wrote:
>> On Wed, 2011-01-12 at 09:13 -0500, Tom Horsley wrote:
>>> Not advertised by HP, but virtually all newer HP all-in-one devices
>>> work out of the box with fedora using hplip (in fact the only
>>> flawless plug&  play experience I ever had was with my HP
>>> all-in-one - the scanner was recognized instantly and just worked).
>> One word of caution with these devices: some of them require a
>> proprietary plug-in available from HP.
> True, I had to download it for my HP colour laser to work in the office.
>
> I found one great video printer review on youtube:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfsVX8fOCJU&feature=player_embedded#!
>
> It looks like newer Canon printers are also just plug'n'play...
>
> I found out that Canon MP640 printer is not available in most shops
> anymore and that newer MG6150 model is replacing it, in same price and
> quality class I found HP OfficeJet 6500 and I'll compare the two.
>
> If anybody else is already has one of these printers please share your
> cons and pros.
>
> Cheers,
> Valent.

I use an Epson Artisan 810. Fedora can directly handle its full-duplex
features, and I have a hint that I can send a job to the CD/DVD tray
(subject to the requirements for formatting a CD/DVD template). The only
thing: it won't accept an ink-level status report. Or am I missing
something? (I'm using the simplified driver that CUPS provides.)

Temlakos