Sendmail needs authentication with Smart Host

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Wed Jan 12 23:29:28 UTC 2011

Can someone point me off to the documentation of how to configure
sendmail to use both SMART_HOST and supply the necessary authentication?

For years (with my previous ISP) if I just used their outgoing smtp
server, I could configure it using SMART_HOST and it worked.

Now, with my new ISP, it appears that I need to send user/password when
I send out email using their outgoing smtp server.  I can configure this
with Thunderbird, but how can I use this with sendmail?  It doesn't work
to just set the SMART_HOST, and I can't seem to find the right macro for
user/password authentication information....

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at verizon.net
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net