gnote vs Tomboy

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 13 13:28:39 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-01-12 at 21:42 -0500, Michael Semcheski wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > I have heard that argument before. The fact is currently tomcat is
> > actively being developed and gnote is not. Rahul assures us that
> > synchronization is in gnote's future and he implies that Snowy might work
> > with gnote's . We will have to wait and see. We are actively running
> > three computers at our house and I believe that synchronizing the
> > databases on these three machines will  be useful. In that I disagree
> > with Rahul's opinion that it is not that important.
>
> I don't see Rahul saying its not that important.  But you can't demand
> that someone do something (for free) because you think its more
> important.
That is because he said it to me in an e-mail off-list. All of Fedora is
free is it not. As far as I know I can ask the Fedora developers to do
anything I want them to do and they can ignore the request.

> Just install tomboy.  yum install tomboy.  Open it up.  If you can't
> tell which one is tomboy and which one is gnote, tomboy is the one
> that doesn't have any of your gnote information in it.  Copy over your
> notes by hand.  Its a one time thing.  Then remove gnote.
I guess I have not been clear. The synchronization I am takng about is
not a one time thing. You can synchronize tomboy databases on different
machines as often as you want in tomboy. That is, you could if it worked
right, But so far it says it is synchronizing but it doesn't. And I
still think it is something worth doing.

> Tell Rahul thanks for the work he put into gnote.  I'm glad he put the
> time in to make mono optional on Fedora desktops, and obviously you've
> gotten some use out of it too, even if you're going to go to tomboy.
>
> And get the w key on your keyboard fixed.
It is not the w key that needs fixing. It is my fingers.

Humor in the Court: Q: Are you sexually active? A: No, I just lie there.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net