gnote vs Tomboy-some facts

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 15:54:05 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 6:55 AM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net>wrote:

> Well once again Rahul we are having difficulty communicating and I don't
> know why. For a week or so I have been asking people to share with me
> information on syncing in tomboy. If you or Michael had shared with me
> the information above the whole discussion would not have gone on for
> the length you object to.

I don't object to it but I am not sure what exactly you are discussing
about.   I don't use Tomboy and I don't keep track of it and couldn't have
given you any detailed guide on setting up sync.   If you want help on using
Tomboy,  the discussion about Gnote seems a side topic that should be
seperate.

> Now for man pages. Here Rahul we disagree. The man page should contain a
> discriprion of all the options available in the the program (GUI or
> command line). Or there should be an info file with this information. It
> is the documentation of the program's use

Where is the disagreement?  If a GUI program gets updated all the time but
no new command line options are added, then there is no need to update the
man page and hence a man page is a very poor way of keep track of whether a
software is updated actively or not.  GUI programs keep their help files
updated and that is *not* a man page.  GNOME and KDE for instance use
docbook and yelp is the help application for GNOME apps.  Looking at the cvs
or git tree is obviously much better way to keep track of development
changes and I have given you a link to that.

> The configuration of Tomboy under Ubuntu is described in detail
> in the Tomboy wiki:
> http://live.gnome.org/SeanFritz/UbuntuGutsyTomboySync
>
> It requires software not available in Fedora. Is this the proprietary
> part you are talking about Rahul?

Yes, the server side software of Ubuntu One is entirely proprietary

Rahul