no sound in FC 14

Hugh Caley hughc at aldon.com
Fri Jan 14 22:11:09 UTC 2011

> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 16:05:41 -0600
> From: "CAPT Dave Giurintano, USPHS-retired "<dgiurintano at hotmail.com>
> Subject: no sound in FC 14
> To:users at lists.fedoraproject.org
>
> I have tried everything. Nothing is muted. I reinstalled pulse audio.
> Still no sound. Videos work great but no sound.
>
> Any suggestions of where to look or what to try would be appreciated.

alsamixer is a great tool for this sort of troubleshooting.

I wasn't able to get my sound working with my SiS chipset.  I eventually
just put in an old C-Media card we had lying around; works fine.

You need to run lspci and see what kind of sound chipset you are using.
You should see output something like this:

[hughc at joss ~]$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 645xx (rev 51)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS AGP Port
(virtual PCI-to-PCI bridge)
00:02.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS963 [MuTIOL
Media IO] (rev 25)
00:02.1 SMBus: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS961/2 SMBus Controller
00:02.5 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE]
00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
AC'97 Sound Controller (rev a0)

etc.

Hugh

--