HELP!!! I Borked Java...

Christopher A. Williams chriswfedora at cawllc.com
Sat Jan 15 03:29:48 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-01-14 at 19:25 -0700, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-01-14 at 17:28 -0800, Joe Zeff wrote:
> > On 01/14/2011 05:19 PM, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> > > I have tried reinstalling java-1.6.0-openjdk-plugin.x86_64 to no avail
> > > so far. I know there must be more to do than this...
> >
> > Have you uninstalled SunOracle Java?  If not, it might well be a good idea.
>
> Yes - SunOracle Java is uninstalled.
>
> I can see that it is working via:
>
> alternatives --config java and java -version
>
> The issue is that the java plugin is still not showing up The
> alternatives command to install the Sun java plugin didn't do anything
> except apparently break the open-jdk plugin, and the similar command to
> remove it also did nothing - including failing to "un-break" the openjdk
> plugin.
>
> I think I might have issued something wrong with the alternatives
> command wrt the openjdk plugin, but I'm not sure, and I don't know what
> to do to try and fix it.

OK - I found a way to get the java plugin working. Instructions at:

http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f14.html

Provided a workable solution. So for now I have reinstalled Sun Java
based on these instructions and it appears to be working.

Cheers,

Chris

"If there's anything I've learned
from my years in the tech world,
it's that companies don't get killed by competition.
They usually find creative ways to commit suicide."

--Sridhar Vembu, CEO of Zoho