Skype startup

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sun Jan 16 23:22:30 UTC 2011

Genes MailLists wrote:

> On 01/16/2011 10:45 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> Skype works fine under Fedora-14/KDE on my Thinkpad T43,
>> but it starts automatically when I boot and logon.
>> I'd rather start it myself when I want to.
..
>> What exactly determines which programs startup on boot or login?
>> There doesn't seem to be any mention of skype in /etc/rc.d/ .

>   More likely this is your kde session - I don't use kde at the moment
> but there used to be a ~/.kde/Autostart - check if skype installed
> itself in there.

Thanks for the hint.
There is nothing in ~/.kde/Autostart/ (this directory is empty),
but I see an entry
	restartCommand6=/usr/bin/skype,
in ~/.kde/share/config/ksmserverrc .
I guess this must cause skype to start on login.

"rpm -qf" says this file is not owned by any package.
But I see on googling that ksmserver is "KDE's session manager".
However, I don't see how entries get into this file.
The references I find by googling all refer to files
that do not exist on my system.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net