Way-OT: CPU frequency question

Hiisi saippua5 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 13:32:08 UTC 2011

Dear list!
Recently I became unsatisfied with productivity of my computer. I always
thought it is Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz (32 bit) with hyper-threading. At
least so lshw states. But when I get to BIOS setup I was surprised to
discover under frequency scaling menu that hyper-threading was off and
memory frequency was set to something like 256 while it's DDR2 333 MHz.
First of all I changed memory frequency to 333 MHz and now when the
computer starts it show 400 MHz memory frequency. I don't know why.
Probably it's some kind of simulation. That alone was enough to improve
productivity of this machine. But I went further and changed CPU clock
value from 100 to 200 MHz. Saved that setting, rebooted and during
initial startup testing saw that CPU freq was 199x15=2985 MHz.
Surprisingly the system boots about one and a half time slower than
before. And when it booted in run level 3 it took ages for Gnome to
start. Everything were working remarkable slower than before. And
mozilla constantly crashed while I was trying to search the web for
suggestions. Then I rebooted, changed clock frequency back to 100 MHz
and now I have higher performance compare to prior level with
hyper-threading off.
What I would like to know is why the system was working slower instead
acceleration? Is 100x15=1500 MHz is optimal for my setup? Currently I'm
running Fedora 12 (yes, I know!):
2.6.32.26-175.fc12.i686

Here goes some specification of this machine:
$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor	: 0
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 15
model		: 4
model name	: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
stepping	: 1
cpu MHz		: 3000.000
cache size	: 1024 KB
physical id	: 0
siblings	: 2
core id		: 0
cpu cores	: 1
apicid		: 0
initial apicid	: 0
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 5
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat
pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe constant_tsc pebs
bts pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl cid xtpr
bogomips	: 3024.88
clflush size	: 64
cache_alignment	: 128
address sizes	: 36 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
power management:

processor	: 1
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 15
model		: 4
model name	: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
stepping	: 1
cpu MHz		: 3000.000
cache size	: 1024 KB
physical id	: 0
siblings	: 2
core id		: 0
cpu cores	: 1
apicid		: 1
initial apicid	: 1
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 5
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat
pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe constant_tsc pebs
bts pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl cid xtpr
bogomips	: 3024.09
clflush size	: 64
cache_alignment	: 128
address sizes	: 36 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
power management:

sudo lshw
[sudo] password for Sampo:
kello.ru
    product: PROD00000000
    vendor: OEM00000
    width: 32 bits
    capabilities: smbios-2.3 dmi-2.3 smp-1.4 smp
    configuration: boot=normal chassis=desktop cpus=1
  *-core
       product: S651MPRZ
       vendor: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
       physical id: 0
     *-firmware
          vendor: Award Software International, Inc.
          physical id: 0
          version: F7 (09/06/2004)
          size: 128KiB
          capacity: 192KiB
          capabilities: pci pnp apm upgrade shadowing cdboot bootselect
socketedrom edd int13floppy360 int13floppy1200 int13floppy720
int13floppy2880 int5printscreen int9keyboard int14serial int17printer
int10video acpi usb agp ls120boot zipboot
     *-cpu:0
          product: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
          vendor: Intel Corp.
          physical id: 4
          bus info: cpu at 0
          version: 15.4.1
          serial: 0000-0F41-0000-0000-0000-0000
          slot: Socket 478
          size: 3GHz
          capacity: 4GHz
          width: 32 bits
          clock: 100MHz
          capabilities: boot fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae
mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse
sse2 ss ht tm pbe constant_tsc pebs bts pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl cid
xtpr cpufreq
          configuration: id=0
        *-cache:0
             physical id: 9
             slot: Internal Cache
             size: 32KiB
             capacity: 32KiB
             capabilities: synchronous internal write-back
        *-cache:1
             physical id: a
             slot: External Cache
             size: 1MiB
             capacity: 1MiB
             capabilities: synchronous internal write-back
        *-logicalcpu:0
             physical id: 0.1
             width: 32 bits
             capabilities: logical
        *-logicalcpu:1
             physical id: 0.2
             width: 32 bits
             capabilities: logical
     *-cpu:1
          vendor: Intel
          physical id: 5
          bus info: cpu at 1
          version: 15.4.1
          serial: 0000-0F41-0000-0000-0000-0000
          slot: Socket 478
          size: 3GHz
          capacity: 4GHz
          clock: 100MHz
          capabilities: ht cpufreq
          configuration: id=1
        *-logicalcpu:0
             physical id: 1.1
             capabilities: logical
        *-logicalcpu:1
             physical id: 1.2
             capabilities: logical
     *-memory
          physical id: 19
          slot: System board or motherboard
          size: 2GiB
          capacity: 2GiB
        *-bank:0
             physical id: 0
             slot: A0
             size: 1GiB
             width: 64 bits
             clock: 200MHz (5.0ns)
        *-bank:1
             physical id: 1
             slot: A1
             size: 1GiB
             width: 64 bits
             clock: 200MHz (5.0ns)
<snip>

Here's the link to motherboard manufacturer:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=1792#sp
Any thoughts?
--
Windows without the X is like making love without a partner.
	-- MaDsen Wikholm, mwikholm at at8.abo.fi