Checking whether Gnome screensaver currently active

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Mon Jan 17 19:47:54 UTC 2011

In a 'cron' job, is there a way to tell whether the Gnome screensaver is
currently active?  Trying to use "gnome-screensaver-command -q" just results
in:

     ** Message: Failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon: /bin/dbus-launch
     terminated abnormally with the following error: Autolaunch error:
     X11 initialization failed.

Alternative ways of testing whether the console user is actively using the
system would also be appreciated.  This is my own cron job trying to test
whether I am currently active, so the IDs match, but the job is obviously
not part of the current Gnome session.

                 Do NOT delete it.