Checking whether Gnome screensaver currently active

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Mon Jan 17 21:57:44 UTC 2011

On 01/17/2011 03:09 PM, Mark LaPierre wrote:
> On 01/17/2011 03:56 PM, JB wrote:
>> Robert Nichols<rnicholsNOSPAM<at>   comcast.net>   writes:

>>> Alternative ways of testing whether the console user is actively using the
>>> system would also be appreciated.  This is my own cron job trying to test
>>> whether I am currently active, so the IDs match, but the job is obviously
>>> not part of the current Gnome session.
>>>
>> Can you extract that info from these ?
>> man w
>> man who
>>
>> JB
>>

> Those will tell you if a user is logged onto the system.  He wants to be
> able to find out if a logged on user has keyboard imprints in his forehead.

Actually, I could get an indication of keyboard activity from the "IDLE"
time, but those commands don't show anything about mouse activity (e.g.,
spending hours using the mouse navigating through "Dive Into Python").

About all I've found so far is to see whether there are any child
processes of the gnome-screensaver process.  I was hoping for something
a bit less involved than that.

                 Do NOT delete it.