which is more user friendly--KDE or GNOME

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 12:12:30 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-01-18 at 07:12 -0500, nathan forbes wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 6:47 AM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 12:32:34 +0100
> > Parshwa Murdia wrote:
> >
> > > A very basic thing I would like to ask if KDE is more user friendly
> > > then GNOME desktop?
> >
> > As far as I'm concerned they are both intensely user-hostile.
> > They insist on changing the way everything works and is laid out
> > on a regular basis, so your most frequent impression is "What
> > the Hell?!"
> >
> > My philosophy:
> >
> > http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/wisdom/stick/stick.html
> > --
> >
> Lol yeah that sounds about right.
>
> They both have their strong points IMO.  I was a GNOME user for a long time
> and later switched to KDE.
> GNOME has a simplicity thing about it that makes it easier to use sometimes.
>  But if you're a die-hard GNOME user
> and then switch to KDE and really give it a chance, I think you'll find that
> KDE has a lot of nice features that GNOME just
> doesn't have.  And I don't mean just eye-candy stuff (although KDE's menus,
> etc. are easier on the eyes and look more modern).
>
> Like for example, if you do any programming, and you like to use a GUI text
> editor sometimes,
> compare the features of Gedit to Kate...

First of all, the OPs question is so ill-defined as to be meaningless,
so I don't intend to answer it. In fact it sounds like a troll to me.
However arguing for one desktop over another on the basis of specific
apps is also meaningless, since they all work in both.

poc (using Evolution on my KDE desktop)